From transporting freight in the early days and soldiers in WW1, the Heart of Wales Line has stories to tell across generations.
The line was orginally built to transport coal and other freight from South Wales up north to the busy factories of the industrial revolution.
It was one of the few rural lines to survive Beeching’s Axe in the 1960’s and has gone on to become both a major tourist attraction and a rural lifeline.
Running from Swansea to Shrewsbury, the Heart of Wales line leaves the main line at Llanelli, and then re-joins the main line at Craven Arms.
The through route was finally opened when the line from Llandovery to Llandrindod Wells was opened in 1868, crossing the magnificent Cynghordy viaduct, then climbing to 250m, before entering a 915m tunnel at the Sugar Loaf.
Presently there are 29 stations or halts all of which are looked after by volunteers.
Timetables can be seen at www.theheartofwalestrainline.co.uk